If You Find Injured Wildlife

How to: Wildlife Cover

American Possum reacts to intruder in the nest.

About this image

The 'Possum said: "I'm great --behold, My tail is lithe and bald and cold!” – Ambrose Bierce

Help Mammals or Other Wildlife

Carolina Raptor Center is only licensed to help injured or orphaned birds of prey. If you find any other type of bird or wild animal, one of these licensed rehabilitators may be able to help. Please note that during the busy orphan season (April-July), you may have to leave a message on their answering machine.

Details About Finding Rehabbers In Your Area

Waterfowl - Carolina Waterfowl Rescue - Please just drive it over to their facility located at 5403 Poplin Road, Indian Trail, NC. You do not need to call them just bring the bird over. They have a 24 hour drop off area for birds but in general someone is there between 8 am and 3 pm and 6pm to 8pm every day with the exceptions of Sundays. If no one is there, please place the bird in one of the containers provided on the front porch area of the rescue that is screened in with lattice. After you have left the bird, please send a text or call to (704) 668-9486 advising that a bird was left in the drop off area. 

Mammals (squirrels, bunnies and opossums) - Call Animal Rehabilitators of the Carolinas (ARC) (704) 552-2329. Please note: ARC no longer accepts calls about birds.

Deer or Fawns (must be specially permitted) - Call Sandy Hagen at (704) 660-0815.

Songbirds, click here.

Birds are protected under Federal Law, you may contact the US Fish and Wildlife Permit office to find a rehabber that can accept birds. Their number is (404) 679-7055.

Check your county and surrounding counties to find a rehabber. More info.

In North Carolina, you may visit the State Organization WRNC’s website and click on members, then find the county. More info.

You may also call the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission at (919) 707-0010. There are other sites on the internet devoted to locating rehabbers. More info.

A nationwide membership listing exists for the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association accessed through the NWRA website. More info.

For reporting wildlife violations, call (800) 662-7137.